2 of my favourite donut recipes to celebrate International No Diet Day
The first time I was told to go on a diet I was 8 years old.
I had made a national gymnastics team, and the first thing I had to do when I came to practice was step on a scale. I was put on a strict ‘no carb’ diet to get my weight down so I could ‘present better’.
My amazing grandma pulled me out of there so fast I didn’t even know what was happening, but the damage was done.
“I need to go on a diet” was implanted.
After years of fearful ‘moderation’ (which is also a diet- I know right? Mind blown!), restricting, binging, food guilt, and other disordered eating- I finally started to make peace with my body, and eventually, my favourite treats and foods.
Donuts were and are a big deal for me. They are delicious, almost always meant a special outing, and brought me tons of happiness. They also meant complete trigger terror to my diet brain. But I kept at it. I kept saying ‘it’s ok’ to the food choices that scared me. I kept letting go, gently learning the language of my body. Telling her she was safe. Leaning in. And today when the kids said they missed going out for treats and told me they wanted donuts? I was able to go all out.
Maybe this seems small; trivial in the face of what we’re going through now. But it’s a big deal for me. And being able to join my family with joy, eating treats together, mindfully savouring them without fear, showing up for myself, means so very much.
In celebration of how I feel today, and International No Diet Day, I’m sharing my 2 favourite donut recipes – blueberry with a lemon glaze, and double cinnamon glazed.
I hope you enjoy them today and every day- and I hope you take some extra time today to love you just as you are, right now.
Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Donuts with a Lemon Glaze!Difficulty: Beginner
2 cups gluten-free flour (we use Bob’s Red mill 1-to-1)
1 cup sugar (we use coconut, but any will work)
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cardamom
1 cup almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted vegan butter
1 cup blueberries (we use thawed, drained frozen wild)
- For Lemon Glaze
1 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a donut tray. You can also use a muffin tin, or a mini bundt tray (which is what I happen to have).
- In a large bowl, mix everything except blueberries together, adding dry ingredients to wet ones. Once a smooth batter is formed, fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into your greased tin, and bake for 20 mins. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 mins.
- While your donuts are cooling, whisk all the glaze ingredients together.
- Glaze your donuts by dipping or by drizzling with a spoon, then set aside for 15 mins while glaze dries.
- Serve with piping fresh coffee or tea and a good book.
You can find the recipe for my other favourite, double cinnamon glazed donuts, right here.
Use those superpowers for good! 🖤 Kat (aka The Autoimmutant)